About our Parish
Stretching from Redlake on the open moorland of Dartmoor, down to the farms of the South Hams, the Parish of Ugborough encompasses a diverse and interesting landscape. Administratively, the Parish comes within the South Hams District Council, although the Dartmoor National Park Authority carry out planning and other environmental functions in those areas to the North of the Parish lying within the Dartmoor National Park.
The Parish straddles the main A38 Expressway, giving easy access to Plymouth, Exeter and beyond. It also benefits from the main railway line, which passes through the Parish, with the Ivybridge Railway Station providing a Park & Ride facility for Plymouth .
With a total population of 1736, Ugborough Parish covers an area of 3482 hectares and comprises four main communities, each with its own distinctive character:
Ugborough The village is centred around the former market square and, with its ancient buildings, including the church and conduit, has been designated a Conservation Area.
Bittaford, whose function has evolved over the centuries. First, with its involvement with the china clay extraction at Redlake, then with its position on the main A38 trunk road to the South West, and finally, until the 1990s, in accommodating staff working at the nearby Moorhaven mental asylum. The village is dominated by the dramatic railway viaduct.
Wrangaton. Originally on the A38 trunk road, local planning policies have identified land for industrial activity in Wrangaton.
Moorhaven Village. The newest community in the Parish, this Victorian former mental asylum was converted to housing in the 1990s and presents a very distinctive entity.